4.27.2006

kids dancing







taken with a holga. 120 film

these were taken in South Africa (i wish i could remember the name of the place right now...) I was on a trip with ten artists and my two teachers, Rose and Claire. We were visiting the home/studio of Noria Mabasa, a 68 year old woman and venda artist. (more with her later)

The children were from the village, and if i remember correctly most of them were related. Funny if i think about me and my 11 cousins getting together to dance in a circle... The kids put on this dance for us, which worked also as a bit of a fundraiser for them as well.

It's always interesting to me that people can seem so different when they are still, or from a "distance", but as soon as they do something, eat, laugh, dance, talk, write, it is again revealed that we are all the same. Sure it's a different dance than i know, to a different kind of beat, skin color, location, all that... but the people inside these appearances, the confidence, the fear, the clutziness and agility, eagerness and boredom. The same as any dance recital with any children in the world (my guess).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home